The secret: this is waaaay easy to make. This blog post might as well be an ad for Bisquick, which we use for an awesome crust. Dudes, you may think you’re not a true cook unless you’re making all the things from scratch, but there are some things that usually turn out better from a pre-packaged mix (unless you’re Wolfgang Puck), so let your inner turmoil go and give in. We live in an age of delicious mixes, just begging to be taken advantage of.
What you’ll need:
1 ¼ C Bisquick Mix
¼ C butter at room temperature (don’t ever use margarine for anything, ever)
2 Tbsp boiling water
1 ½ C half-and-half
½ Tsp salt
A round cake pan
2 bowls for mixin’ stuff
A pan for boiling water
You’ll also need:
Bacon (enough to satisfy you—we usually use a pound)
Cheese (Swiss or cheddar or a mix—we use more than most humans would. Usually about 2-3 cups—as much as we can cram in. We'll die happy.)
¼ Tsp cayenne pepper (a little goes a loooong way)
¼ C green or yellow onion
½ C mushrooms
(Beware: the more veggies you add, that’s less room for cheese and bacon!)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Boil a few cups water in a small pot (you only need 2 Tbsp but some of it will evaporate). And cook your bacon (either fry it in a pan or bake at 400 degrees for 15 min).
2. Mix together Bisquick and butter until it forms a crumbly mixture. Then add the hot water while mixing quickly. Keep mixing until dough forms (we usually get our hands in there to make the dough even and pretty). Grease a round cake pan and press the dough into the bottom and completely up the sides. It's okay if the dough looks thin.
3. Then mix eggs, half-and-half, salt, and any other crazy seasoning you wanna add.
4. Drain the grease from the bacon and put it in your round cake pan over the dough. Add a nice layer of cheese and any other veggies. Then pour your egg mixture over the top. Then we add a ton more cheese, for good measure, until there's a nice cheese layer over the top.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 min. We usually bake it for 35 min and then broil it for 30 seconds to get a nice golden crust on top.
6. Eat like a barbarian.